The show features:
● A dozen all-star hip hop dancers
● Hip hop legend Kurtis Blow as guest MC
● DJ Boo
● Filip Pogády on electric violin
● Digitally projected scenery
● Spotlight appearances by children from UPCA's community arts programs (at the United Palace only)
The production is being produced by UPCA with choreography and direction by Jennifer Weber of Decadance Theatre Company.
The production's 12 dancers are:
- Virgil Gadson ("After Midnight")
- Robert Taylor Jr ("So You Think You Can Dance, Season 8")
- Sammy Soto ("Step Fenz")
- Angelo Saunders ("Monsters of Hip Hop/NappyTabs")
- Ramone Wilkinson ("Monsters of Hip Hop/NappyTabs")
- Sophia Lavonne (iLuminate")
- David Yijae ("Urban Dance League" on BET)
- Myriam Gadri (Latin Billboard Awards)
- Lucile "Frak" Graciano (Decadancetheatre)
- Megan Alfonso (Decadancetheatre)
- Ann Sylvia Clark (Decadancetheatre)
- Taeko Koji (Decadancetheatre)
"The Hip Hop Nutcracker" opened at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center on Dec 5 & 6 and had its New York City premiere on Sun., Dec. 7.
Due to popular demand an encore performance has been added for Sat., Dec. 13 at the Palace. Tickets on sale at: https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pe.c/9970038
You can also support the show with a donation. Every $10 donated will allow us to invite one community member who can't afford to purchase a ticket. Perks availabe: invitation to the after-party, private dance lessons, and a walk-on role during Act II.
Follow the development of this special show on our blog: http://unitedpalace.org/hip-hop-nutcracker/blog
Follow us at:
https://m.facebook.com/thehiphopnutcrackerThis event is part of "The Crackalackin' Season of Classical Music" featuring classical music-based events. We call it crackalackin' because that's urban slang for "what's happening" and "let's get going," which we believe describes the vital role classical music is playing in helping to build our audience in Washington Heights. Besides attracting classical music enthusiasts, UPCA's goal is also to ignite a new love for classical music in our community for residents who may not have had the opportunity to experience live performances before.
Thank you to our sponsors: