Monday, January 5, 2015

'The Book Of Negroes' On CBC: Miniseries Not To Be Missed

Slavery is a dark chapter in U.S. history, but what many people don't know is that it's part of Canadian history as well. Whether it's unfamiliarity with what happened in our own country or it's just easier to point the finger at the bad folks south of the border, some of us -- heck, most of us -- are simply unaware.
Canadians are still in denial, myself included. I understand there are important stories to tell, but personally I don't really fancy watching a movie that may earn critical acclaim but is brutally accurate and packed with vivid, stomach-churning imagery of pain, cruelty and horrific violence. I'm not sure if I should be ashamed for not wanting to watch parts of barbaric history and trading in human flesh; all I do know is the subject matter makes me angry-hot, to the point where all I see is red and steam is on the verge of coming out of my ears. And from an entertainment point of view, that's not how I want to feel when watching something.
Thankfully, "The Book Of Negroes" is anything but. (It premieres Wednesday, Jan. 7 at 9 p.m. ET/9:30 p.m. NT on CBC.)

TO READ MORE CLICK HERE http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/05/book-of-negroes-cbc-review_n_6417398.html?utm_hp_ref=black-voices&ir=Black%20Voices

No comments:

Post a Comment