Saturday, July 12, 2014

THE STATE OF AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN HAIR



THE STATE OF AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR
By Belinda Trotter-James

Who's That Lady Ent New Section PHENOMENAL WOMEN ALL NATURAL
http://www.whosthatladyent.com/#!phenomenal-women-all-natural/c237r 

America is a melting pot of diverse cultures therefore, no one should be able to look at the way someone dresses or wear their hair and say it’s wrong.  Who’s That Lady Entertainment not only embraces women of diverse careers, we also embrace their sense of style.  We live in a society that is rich in hundreds of cultures from all over the world.  We are a melting pot of delicious flavors that have blended very nicely together through the births of our children.  America is going to have to accept individuals who have embraced the true essence of their
spirit and are not afraid of those who choose to voice their ignorance because they do not understand.

Me getting my hair done when I was a child 

People are not afraid anymore of the backlash that comes from wearing their hair in styles out of the norm.    When Fashion Police host, Kelly Osborne dyed her hair lavender, it was a fashion statement.  When songstress Pink dyed her hair pink, it was a creative statement to go along with her music.  When you see girls with Mohawk styles, they are accepted as the rebels of society and it’s okay.  However, let a black woman walk into a corporate environment with her hair in its natural, coiled, kinky state and it’s the talk of the office.  Why is it an issue; or
is it?  The African hair texture has always been some type of mystery to others around the world.  The hair can be curled, colored, braided, wavy, gelled, twisted, straightened and it can stand straight up in the air with no teasing comb. The hair does not droop and can stand proud and tall all by itself.  African hair is almost bullet proof from the sun.  It protects the scalp from sun burn.  The texture is simply amazing.

This is my daughter Darnae.  She wasn't going to let me comb her hair and I wasn't going to try to comb all that hair either.  I'll just have to catch her while she's sleep.

Some people are amazed at our hair and cannot figure out how it is able to do some of the things that it does.  I am still amazed when Caucasian women as me how I get my hair to curl.  I don’t know whether to be insulted or teach.  I curl 

my hair with a curling iron just like everyone else.  Sometimes I think I’m on candid camera or a prank TV show.  (My facial expressions are priceless.)


When Caucasian women try to duplicate our hair whether it is teased, crimped, curled or braided, reporters have been known to say things like, “It’s too done.”  Are they kidding??? What’s ‘too’ done?!   Or “It’s too busy.”  Auuugghh, Really?!  Caucasian women wear their hair straight every day.  Red carpet events are the time to do something, anything different.  Reporters love when a Caucasian woman has her hair tossed a little.  They rave and report that it’s the new tossed
look when it’s really a mess.  Someone should have told them that it looks as though it had not been combed.
 


A fire storm of criticism came out against Beyoncé for not combing her daughter’s hair.  How do they know she did not try to comb it?  A baby is not going to sit for hours to have their thick, beautifully coiled head of hair combed.  Adults may sit for hours to get their hair done; but not a baby.  Has anyone said anything to Angelina Jolie’s dark skinned daughter’s hair?  Angelina doesn’t have a clue on what to do with that beautiful head of African hair.  


When I was a child, I went for weeks without getting my hair combed.  It was always thick, long and very hard to comb.  It hurt every time and I did not like it. Did that mean I did not like my hair….? No.  It meant I did not like the pain associated with the comb.  As a teen I wore my hair in cornrows which lasted for 15 years so that I would not have to comb my hair or be tempted to get a perm.  Thank God for Madame CJ Walker who invented the straightening comb?  My hair didn’t hurt me anymore.  It could do a lot of things and looked great.  I had curls, braids, cornrows, ponytails…ooooooh don’t I look good.  Every time I hear someone’s opinion on straight hair vs. natural hair in the African American community, I don’t hear anyone say how straightening relieved the pain.  I only heard how Black people wanted the same type of hair as Whites. Hmmmm…. Really.  When you’re in pain, you will seek relief by any means necessary. 

 When I buy a popular handbag by a high-end designer, does that mean that I am trying to be a high-end consumer?  No.  It means I like that style.  If I wear a wig or weave, does that mean I don’t like my hair?  No.  It means I want to try something new without experimenting with my own hair.  Just think of it as feeding the families of the businesses who sell hair.  Can you imagine sitting in aconcert waiting for Nikki Minaj to get her hair done for each costume change.  OMG!  Thank goodness for the quick change magic of wigs.
  

Thank God some of us can live in a land where we are free to experiment and be creative to invent things and create products that people are willing to try.  Don’t ask someone if they are wearing a wig, how long does it take to put extensions in or wondering if that’s a weave.  It’s insensitive, rude and it shows one that you are just trying to find a flaw with that person.  How much is it worth to you to know the answer to those questions?  Did someone tell you that Black women cannot possibly have that much hair naturally?  If you ask that
question, ask it because you want your hair exactly like it.  So the next time you see a Black woman with an afro, curly curls, bone straight hair, dreads, locs, braided, cornrowed, blonde, orange or blue color hairstyles that are fabulous, just compliment her and enjoy the show.

BELINDA TROTTER JAMES EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR 
WHO'S THAT LADY ENTERTAINMENT http://www.whosthatladyent.com
Follow her on twitter http://www.twitter.com/modelocity



No comments:

Post a Comment