Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Exclusive Interview With Actress Toby Poser




TOBY POSER

Actress, Writer, Director & Mom Production


By Belinda Trotter-James

Toby Poser is not just the former actress of the popular soap “Guiding Light” and films such as, “The Incredibly True Adventure”, “Knuckle Jack”, “Steal Me”, “Rumblestrips” and “The Luck Ones”. She also is a mom and wife who brought her family along for the ride.  Her husband John Adams along with their children Lulu and Zelda are the production team of Wonder Wheel Productions.  It’s a small production company, but it allows the family to let their creative juices flow.  The family writes together, acts, produces, edits and the kids even do a little camera work.  With a little help from fellow actors they really are the cast, the crew and they love it that way.

Toby’s 79 minute thriller, “The Shoot” landed in my email box from Wonder Wheel Productions along with lots of other emails. It stars: John DiMaggio, Keith Allan, Doug Spearman and the multitask director, writer and mom… Toby Poser.  I was a fan of The Guiding Light and wanted to see what Toby was up to. Women often take on many roles and multitask as if they had eight arms.  However, Toby says she was ready for the challenge that comes with dual roles of acting and directing...   “Well I co wrote and co directed this film with my husband”, says Toby.  “He and I are creative partners and so we wore just about every hat and that's where it becomes tough. We work our butts off to make films because we don't have massive or bulging wallets; so we have a lot of creativity and a lot of friends. My husband has a cast of very supportive people who understand how we work and so that makes it doable.  I've been an actor longer than I've been a director, writer or producer and sometimes the actor in me wants to come out and figure out how to do that character because I want to do a good job of course, but then the director in me is also thinking.” 

“Actually the hardest part is putting on and off the producer’s hat. I'm thinking, ‘Do I have the permits with me’ because you have to have that with you if you're in the middle of the desert and rangers show up… which did happen and I was prepared. I’m thinking about how fast the light is going down.  Natural light is important because we don't have a budget to have tons of crazy lights that you may have on a Hollywood set. We have cameras and we know how to use them with natural light. I'm thinking about all of those things when I should be getting into character. Also our kids are out on set with us too because they are an integral part of our company.  They are 16 and 11 now and they help with the sound and the use of our three cameras. I'm also thinking about them… Are there rattlesnakes around their feet? Is a scorpion going to sting them?  Are they hungry?  So that's a hard thing to be able to balance the mother, producer and actor in me.”
The film was very interesting because the characters pulled me into their drama to the point where I had to watch what happens next. I thought I would be watching a 2 minute trailer however; I ended up sitting through 79 minutes of sheer suspense.  The main story line is about a fashion shoot that takes place in the desert and goes horribly wrong when two wannabe musicians decide to switch careers and major in robbery.  The plan takes an awful twist as the crew has to make life or death decisions.  “The Shoot” will definitely have you wondering what you would do in the same situation.


Of course I wondered if the story was based on real life events.  Toby explained, “The story is actually based on a real life story.  My husband isn't a criminal, but he was a very successful model in the 1990’s and he would be flown all over the world to these exotic locations.  So he got this idea when he was doing the Armani ad campaign in Morocco and he said to himself, ‘I'm in the middle of the desert with this opulent set, expensive equipment along with all of these colorful characters plus the stylist and the photographer. I wonder what would happen if someone came and robbed them. They didn't look like they would be prepared for something like that to happen.’ So that was the spark,” reveals Toby. 

Wow!  Real life is never boring.  You just cannot make this stuff up.
The characters were quite colorful and in the end you wonder what happens to each character. “In the end I think there was no way out and I think they are just going to die out there,” reveals Toby.  “That was my secret motivation, but we wanted to leave it up to the viewers to wonder what would happen.  Either way whether the police comes or she dies because she hasn't had anything to eat in a few days or they just walk off into the desert together it will be most poignant to know that this is a love story and what they have is going to come to an end. They are together, but it’s going to come to an end. We thought that was the most important thing to do no matter how it ends it would just have to focus on that sad fact.”
Toby loved working with all the actors so much that she's thinking about putting them in her next film.  “I love them so much and they were so generous with their performances on and off set as well", says Toby.

Creative people will often have a vision in their minds eye that must be translated on to a screen for others to view and comprehend.  Sometimes the creator’s point gets across and other times it leaves people just scratching their heads.  I asked Toby how she deals with critics who feel they have to sharpen their poison pens instead of facing the fact that some films may just go over their heads. These people feel they can take the creative energy that was put into a film and dissect it into little pieces of negative energy. In this world you'll have people who love it, people who like it and people who just wouldn’t like anything put in front of their eyeballs. How do you mentally keep moving forward or do you start second-guessing yourself and believe what the critics say... good… bad… or indifferent? A critic’s job is to be critical however, are they capable of creating an idea, directing and producing it for the enjoyment of an audience?

"I can be pretty sensitive as an actor, but when it comes to my films, I have a pretty thick skin because I think it's so arbitrary,” says Toby.   “I think that opinions can be so different in a way that I would almost rather invite extreme opinions. In that way I would know I haven't been complacent with my creativity. Just the other night we went to see a preview of a film which got a lot of good reviews.  We decided to be really honest with each other on the drive home about how we really didn't like this film and how it seemed like they sold their souls to the Hollywood devil. Then we got home and saw our first bad review.  It was the perfect karmic boomerang. Here it is someone else put a lot of time and money into this film and we were not very nice about it. I prefer to support people so I just take it in stride that everyone has different opinions. I think when George Gershwin wrote Porgy and Bess they hated it and it's a masterpiece. There are so many things that people think differently about.  You can write an unfavorable review, but to lambaste every ounce of it… it's just disrespectful to people who have taken the time to make something. So the process is important; you don't have to like the product when you don’t even respect the process. So I don't pay too much attention to the negative reviews and I respect that I respect people’s opinions. I kind of let it roll off me. When you act you deal with a lot of rejection so I can take it a little bit better than John can.”
Toby was really excited to talk to me about her next project. "I’m working on what I guess you would call a western. I'm really excited about it,” reveals Toby.  “It's an idea I've had for a long time. It probably will take place in the 1950’s during the Western expansion of the United States. It will be very artistic and we are already working on the music and thinking about how to shoot it and it's something I’m really looking forward to. John is also working on a script like our first and second films with a small cast.  It will be something we can do very easily.  It will not be as big as “The Shoot.” We are returning to our roots which are very humble in terms of the production value with very honest material, very organic material and he is also working on a horror story.”

There is a lot of work that goes behind the scenes in getting the wardrobe ready, scene changes and all types of miscellaneous stuff that pops up. However, Toby is quite confident that they don't need a lot of hands on deck because they can do a lot of things on their own and their daughters have no problem pitching in. "I happen to have a 16-year-old daughter who loves designing clothing,” says Toby.  “I'll enlist her help and they will also be acting in the films. They are phenomenal actors. We will do a lot of things on our own and its okay because we work hard, but we always have fun; that's our motto.”

Fans miss seeing Toby on television and I think she misses her fans a little as well... "I would like that, but really my bread-and-butter comes from voiceovers,” reveals Toby.  “I have a voiceover career that funds our films and I will never want to stop doing that. I kind of have been focused on our films the last couple of years. I haven't been doing the usual grind of auditions for other projects and I think I've become discouraged since I've hit 40. The roles that I was being offered before are waning and that was one reason why we got into films. My husband said, ‘Why don't you write your own stuff?’ and I thought that was a good challenge so I took him up on it.  I can always cast myself and write other great roles for women. I would like to do more TV, but I have to just put myself back out there". 


Back out there for what???  She is doing a great job in the next chapter of her journey and we don’t want to miss out on the creative goodies Wonder Wheel Productions has in store for their fans.  You can see the trailer of “The Shoot” at  and follow them on their social media networks. 
 Wonder Wheel Prod on Twitter: https://twitter.com/adams_films

All rights reserved -- no part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means electronic or mechanical including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without permission from Who's That Lady Entertainment.

8 comments:


  1. I am here to give testimony of how i got back my husband, we got married for over 9 years and we had two kids. thing were going well with us and we where always happy. until one day my husband started to behave in a way i could not understand, i was very confused by the way he treated me and the kids. later that month he did not come back home again and he called me that he want a divorce, i asked him what have i done wrong to deserve this from him, all he was saying is that he want a divorce that he hate me and do not want to see me again in his life, i was mad and also frustrated do not know what to do,i was sick for more than 2 weeks because of the divorce. i love him so much he was everything to me without him my life is incomplete. i told my sister and she told me to contact a spell caster, i never believe in all this spell casting of a thing. i just want to try if something will come out of it. i contacted traditional spell hospital for the return of my husband to me, they told me that my husband have been taken by another woman, that she cast a spell on him that is why he hate me and also want us to divorce. then they told me that they have to cast a spell on him that will make him return to me and the kids, they casted the spell and after 1 week my husband called me and he told me that i should forgive him, he started to apologize on phone and said that he still live me that he did not know what happen to him that he left me. it was the spell that he casted on him that make him come back to me. my family and i are now happy again. Thank you Dr. Aluta for what you have done for me i would have been nothing today if not for your great spell. i want you my friends who are passing through all this kind of love problem of getting back their husband, wife , or ex boyfriend and girlfriend to contact traditionalspellhospital@gmail.com and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay. He cast spells for different purposes like
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) Herbal care
    (10) is the only answer to that your problem of winning the lottery
    Contact him today on: traditionalspellhospital@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant a friend who directed me to spell caster called Papa online who help people to solve their relationship and marriage problems. I was really skeptical before i wrote to him and he told me not to worry about anything, that i should give him a day for him to cast a spell for me and after 2 days i was really surprised my ex called me and started begging for me to take her back . That is how my ex came back to me and she no longer think of other people, but me and me alone and am happy my money was not wasted. Write Papa on
      orkstarspell @ gmail. com

      Delete
  2. HOW I WAS SAVED FROM A COLLAPSING RELATIONSHIP BY Dr savior THE GREAT SPELL CASTER
    I want to say thank you to Dr savior for the good thing he has done for me,Though am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and happiness for what he has
    done for me but i can't hide my happiness and my Joy so i have to share it with people, my marriage got crashed about two years ago and i tried all i could within my
    power but to no avail. i saw post and testimonial about the good things Dr,savior has been doing so i decided to give it a try. though he is always a busy man but
    when he responded back to my email, he gave me 48 hours for my marriage to be restored really just like he said my marriage was restored since then I am happy and i am
    living happily i am so grateful to Dr savior you can always email him here: {dr.saviour12@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited sharing this amazing testimony about how i save my marriage and get my husband back today, My name is Keys Miller,i live in Los Angeles, California, and I'm happily married to a lovely and caring husband ,with three kids. A very big problem occurred in my family seven months ago,between me and my husband. So terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce,he said that he never wanted to stay with me again,and that he didn't love me anymore.So he packed out of the house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back,after much begging,but all to no avail.and he confirmed it that he has made his decision,and he never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my husband . So i explained every thing to him,so he told me that the only way i can get my husband back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for him too.So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the email address of the spell caster whom he visited.{GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM}. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address he gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my husband back the next day.What an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past seven 9 months,gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back.So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster. So, i will advice you out there to kindly contact Dr Ogudugu if you have any problems,{GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM}. Thanks you Dr Ogudugu, i will always be testifying about your good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is back!!! I had a problem with my husband 2 months ago,which lead to us apart. When he broke up with me,i was no longer myself,i felt so empty inside me. Until a friend of mine told me about one of her spells that helped her in same problem too that she found on a television program. I emailed the spell caster and I told him my problem and I did what he asked me. To cut the long story short,before I knew what was happening,not up to 48 hours,my husband gave me a call and he come back to me and told me he was sorry about what has happened, I'm so grateful to this spell caster and i will not stop publishing his name on the internet just for the good work he has done for me.If you need his help,you can email him at (greatogudugu@gmail.com)and he will also help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I found Dr. Paul I was in desperate need of bringing my ex lover back. He left me for another woman. It happened so fast and I had no say in the situation at all. He just dumped me after 3 years with no explanation. I contact Dr.Paul through his website and He told me me what i need to do before he can help me and i did what he told me to, after i provided what he wanted, he cast a love spell to help us get back together. Shortly after he did his spell, my boyfriend started texting me again and felt horrible for what he just put me through. He said that I was the most important person in his life and he knows that now. We moved in together and he was more open to me than before and then he started spending more time with me than before. Ever since Dr. Paul helped me, my partner is very stable, faithful and closer to me than before. I highly recommends Dr. Paul to anyone in need of help. Email: astoriashrine@ gmail com, Call him or add him on whatsapp via: +2349051441669

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to let the world know about Doctor Osasu the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Doctor Osasu used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and even since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self the i will let the World know about Doctor Osasu because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Doctor Osasu today for i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Doctor Osasu email is: drosasu25@gmail.com or add him on whasapp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to let the world know about Doctor Osasu the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Doctor Osasu used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and even since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self the i will let the World know about Doctor Osasu because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Doctor Osasu today for i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Doctor Osasu email is: drosasu25@gmail.com or add him on whasapp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete